Are you supporting refugee families? If so, we would like to invite you to take pilot some resources which we have been developing.
Background: Learning Unlimited (LU) has been commissioned by the Council of Europe to develop some resources for volunteers to use when supporting refugee families as part of its LIAM project’s work (Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants (LIAM) (coe.int).
We realise that many refugees can only attend support sessions if their children are with them. Also, that some volunteers and teachers may find it helpful to have access to some guidance and simple activities specifically for use with families. We have developed a range of activities and supporting guidance to help fill this gap (see table of resources below).
Getting involved: As part of the development of these resources (guidance and activities), LU is looking for some volunteers or teachers who are supporting/working with refugee families to:
– critically review some of the resources (guidance, activities or reference resource)
– pilot some of the resources with refugee families (activities only)
– both critically review and pilot resources.
There is a simple feedback form to complete and, where possible, a short informal follow up Zoom chat to capture feedback and reflections would be very helpful.
Register interest: If you would like to get involved, and have time to review or pilot some of the resources before mid-January 2022, please do get in touch ASAP: [email protected]
Please let us have the following information and if there any resources you would particularly like to review or pilot, please let us know:
|Volunteer Teacher Other (Please specify):
|Any resource preferences?
|Please add numbers from table or highlight numbers on table below
|Review, pilot or both?
|Please let us know your plans and if you can pilot the resources with refugee families, please tell us a little about who with, where and when.
|Anything else you would like to tell us?
|Can we contact you to arrange a short chat to discuss your feedback further? YES NO
Background context to help frame reviews and feedback:
- These resources have been designed to be short (mostly 2 sides), clear and accessible.
- The final resources could be used or adapted by volunteers or teachers online or providing face-to-face support in a range of settings across EU member states including refugee camps, with refugees in transit through member states, or with refugee families on arrival in a destination country
- Some volunteers may not have received any training or support for their role and may be working independently – others may receive training and support in their role.
- Some volunteers may be speakers of other languages and may still be developing language and literacy skills themselves.
|Supporting refugee families to settle
|Family learning (intergenerational learning) with refuges families
|The importance of plurilingualism for families
|Helping children to learn a new language
|Family language portraits
|Using pictures and objects for language activities with refugee families
|Basic vocabulary for families – feelings and opinions
|Basic vocabulary for families – children’s clothes
|Pre-school, primary school and other support services for refugee families
|Mapping the local area with families
|Language activities for families – Story cards
|Language activities for families – Bingo
|Language activities for families – Pelmanism
|Language activities for families – Puzzles
|Language activities for families – Our family booklets
|Language activities for families – Footsteps
|Free resources for families