THE (Tulse Hill Estate ) Volunteer Project is an exciting new project, funded by the Evening Standard Dispossessed Fund through the London Community Foundation, designed to support individuals and communities on the Tulse Hill Estate and strengthen community cohesion.
THE Volunteer Project will train and support 12–20 Tulse Hill residents as volunteers who will help to make a big difference for 260-400 residents and families on the Estate. THE volunteers will help to identify and respond to local interests and needs, reduce isolation for marginalised parents and families on the estate, and take an active role in supporting local parents, families and women through outreach, befriending support, events and workshops.
THE volunteers will be able to build their knowledge, skills and confidence through free training accredited training (OCN) and valuable employability experience.
On successful completion of their training, THE volunteers will offer a wide range of input and support, such as:
- Running small groups on specific themes and topics. These will include some workshops in community languages and/or providing language support in a range of community languages
- Planning and running Coffee and chat clubs – an opportunity for unplanned, unstructured social interaction and support, as well as addressing specific facilitator-led themes, led by volunteers or local organisers, service providers and specialists.
- Planning and delivering workshops, events and courses
- Supporting children’s and adults’ learning
- Providing support for neighbours seeking training or work or planning on re-entering the workforce
- Supporting children’s learning (for use at homework clubs and at home)
- Scribing service for neighbours with little or no literacy in English and/or language barriers
- Signposting to local services/opportunities
- Befriending and supporting isolated parents/families and/or women, parents and families who are new to the UK
- Taking a pro-active role in local community-led initiatives
- Interpreting and translation support in main community languages.
If you would like to know more, get involved or help in any way, please contact Ian Foster on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7911 5567